contact duncan gibbins about your personal injury

Call For FREE Advice:

0151 949 5757

duncan gibbins corporate logoVisit the DG Academyarrow button

duncan gibbins corporate logo


Accidents Abroad – Have You Checked Your Insurance Small Print?

Holidaymakers have been warned after it emerged that insurance companies are cracking down on payouts for accidents abroad that happen when people are drunk.

accidents abroad

Holiday makers are being warned that even drinking a small amount of alcohol can affect their insurance policy

The British Insurance Broker’s Association (BIBA) has examined 20 leading insurance policies that state that alcohol could restrict a claim. Although insurance policies have previously included a standard exclusion relating to alcohol or drug abuse, BIBA is concerned that many people do not realise that these exclusions have increased in recent years and differ between individual insurance companies.

It was found that some insurance companies will examine your exact blood alcohol content, while others simply use phrases in their policy like ‘if alcohol puts you in a needless risk’, however, the study found that if you want to make a claim for accidents abroad on your policy.

Graeme Trudghill, from BIBA, commented: “We believe that travellers will be surprised that there is such a variety of exclusions within policies and they need to understand what level of alcohol could invalidate a claim and if excessive, it almost certainly will.”

Accidents Abroad – Young Travellers Without Insurance

The BBC spoke to Rebecca Pin , 29, and her friend Victoria Evans, who are currently enjoying a holiday in one of the busiest areas of Ibiza. Rebecca said:

“If I have a drink and fall over a dodgy kerb here then I should still be able to claim. Holidays are for having a drink and letting your hair down.”

Victoria added: “Who has time to read all that small print? I’d think again about taking insurance.”

Foreign Office figures have revealed that around 25% of 16-24 year-olds take trips abroad without the necessary insurance.

Speak To A Solicitor About Accidents Abroad

It is recommended that anyone travelling abroad takes out the necessary insurance for their trip. If you expect that you will be consuming alcohol it is advised that you check before purchasing your policy about the restrictions in place relating to alcohol consumption, particularly if you will be taking part in water sports or ski-ing.

If you have been involved in accidents abroad, and have sustained an injury that wasn’t your fault you may be entitled to claim compensation. Speak to a member of our team today on Freephone 0800 0193 515 to discuss your potential claim for compensation.

We are available to take your call seven days a week to discuss accidents abroad and a claim for compensation. Alternatively fill out the claim form on this page and a member of our team can call you back at a time to suit you.

No related posts to display.

  • picture of a man
    Contact Duncan Gibbins
    1. Can I make a claim?
      ...need free advice?

  • Recent Posts

  • News Archive

click here to ask duncan gibbins a question

Type your question here. Please Note: We find our clients are more likely to receive the answer they're looking for when they enter more detailed questions.