Families To Pursue ‘Class Action’ For Medical Compensation Claim Against Alexandra Hospital
Lawyers are pursuing a medical negligence compensation claim on behalf of 23 families after allegations of failings in patient care at a West Midlands Hospital.
The ‘class action’ that is planned against Alexandra Hospital, in Redditch, is the biggest group claim for compensation since hundreds of patients died at Stafford Hospital between 2005 and 2009 as a result of poor care and neglect.
Death rates at Worcestershire Acute Hospitals Trust-which runs Alexandra hospital – were 10 percent higher than the national average in 2010/11. Allegations against the hospital include:
- Vulnerable patients left starving when food trays were not put within reach.
- One retired NHS worker who died as a result of being left without heart medication or food.
- A father-of-four who his family say wasted away because hospital staff were unaware of how to fit his feeding tube.
Group Medical Compensation Claim Could Be ‘Tip Of The Iceberg’
The solicitors pursuing the medical compensation claim told the Daily Telegraph that the 23 families that had contacted them regarding poor care at Alexandra Hospital could represent ‘the tip of the iceberg’.
The solicitors commented on the type claims they were dealing with:
“The common themes we have encountered include patients being left dehydrated and starved-feeding tubes not given to patients who could not swallow normally, food being plonked out of reach of patients, and others left to eat with their fingers because they weren’t given cutlery.”
Chris Grande was just 35 when he died at Alexandra Hospital after being admitted with breathing problems. Sonya, his widow, says that her husband was left to lie in his own faeces for three hours and his pleas for help were ignored. She said:
“They starved my husband to death. Chris spent his last few days in agony, and terrified of the people that were supposed to be helping him”
Helen Blanchard, Director of Nursing and Midwifery at the trust commented:
“We actively encourage patient and family feedback and where there is any indication that standards of care fall short of the high standards we expect all staff to deliver we will always address it.”
Medical Compensation Claim – Speak To Duncan Gibbins
At Duncan Gibbins we have expert medical negligence solicitors who can provide free legal advice. Speak to a member of our friendly legal team for a free, no obligation discussion about your potential medical compensation claim.
Call 0800 0193 515 or alternatively, fill out a claim form on this page and a member of our team will call you back at a time to suit you
- Medical Negligence Compensation Girl Claims £5m Medical Negligence Compensation Payout The High Court...
- Burns Victim Claims Medical Negligence Compensation Medical Negligence Compensation Claimed Made After Woman’s Skin Caught Fire...
- Cancer Compensation Claim Cancer Compensation Claim Made After Botched Breast Cancer Operation A...
- Cancer Compensation Claim – Women's Stomach Removed By Mistake Cancer Compensation Claim – Substantial Pay out Agreed After Misdiagnosis...
- Clinical Negligence Clinical Negligence Compensation – Can I Claim? If you have...